• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Looking for information

We left institutional church a long time ago, 20 years. We have a small home fellowship.
Howdy sister,
I haven’t kept up with all of your posts but I believe you said that you are just barely making your way to a more biblical understanding of family/spousal structure. In general, those who leave the institutional assembly do so to seek a less progressive and modern take on worship and faith. What was your home fellowship centered around?
 
We started out with a home fellowship about a decade ago. From the beginning, there were some that were personally opposed to polygyny but not vocal about it. There were some that were wanting to have a sister wife and the rest seemed ambivalent. This group grew over that decade so much we had to get a building large enough to meet. Still too small but affordable. Fast forward to the beginning of this year, I shared with them that I personally was actively looking for another wife. Within a month, 95 % of the people chose to leave. There were maybe 3 men who still believe and that did not rebel. The rest formed a full rebellion. It was not enough to quietly walk away. We had a number of men's meetings to discuss it. They wanted to call this out as sin when that couldn't be shown in scripture, they defaulted to "it is not profitable." There was a ring leader of course. A full on Korah.

What was the problem? It appears that the wives revolted and the effeminate men chose to follow their wives. The queen of Astaroth is living in their homes.

I hate it and yet, I am ok with it. I do not want to fellowship with those whose households are all upside down. It is a scourge on the rest.

I share this with you just to prepare you for what very easily might happen. These were a bunch of men that I have worked alongside at their homes doing everything from hanging out to construction, dinners, weddings, funerals, feasts year after year, you name it. Yet, I was an instant pariah.

Just remember, the word of God is truth and it does not matter how the hearer responds, when we speak, we are to speak the truth.
I bid you God speed on your journey...
Well, I hope you are able to sublease out the building!
 
We left institutional church a long time ago, 20 years. We have a small home fellowship. We are not sure how they are going to take the whole polygyny conversation, but we know they will at least hear us out and search scripture. Mostly they may become fearful and personalize thinking just because we are they have to/ we hope not, but we could see that being an issue. It is definitely comforting to have a group of people to relate with, thank you.
It truly is amazing when you get a chance to read the Bible for yourself, and not get spoon fed by your church, regardless of what denominational affiliation you might have!
 
We started out with a home fellowship about a decade ago. From the beginning, there were some that were personally opposed to polygyny but not vocal about it. There were some that were wanting to have a sister wife and the rest seemed ambivalent. This group grew over that decade so much we had to get a building large enough to meet. Still too small but affordable. Fast forward to the beginning of this year, I shared with them that I personally was actively looking for another wife. Within a month, 95 % of the people chose to leave. There were maybe 3 men who still believe and that did not rebel. The rest formed a full rebellion. It was not enough to quietly walk away. We had a number of men's meetings to discuss it. They wanted to call this out as sin when that couldn't be shown in scripture, they defaulted to "it is not profitable." There was a ring leader of course. A full on Korah.

What was the problem? It appears that the wives revolted and the effeminate men chose to follow their wives. The queen of Astaroth is living in their homes.

I hate it and yet, I am ok with it. I do not want to fellowship with those whose households are all upside down. It is a scourge on the rest.

I share this with you just to prepare you for what very easily might happen. These were a bunch of men that I have worked alongside at their homes doing everything from hanging out to construction, dinners, weddings, funerals, feasts year after year, you name it. Yet, I was an instant pariah.

Just remember, the word of God is truth and it does not matter how the hearer responds, when we speak, we are to speak the truth.
I bid you God speed on your journey...
Thanks for sharing your example. We certainly anticipate there to be issues. This is not the first against culture thing God has asked us to count the cost and then do. We have paid high prices in the past, worth it, and have lost fellowship as a result, but God’s way is better, and He isn’t concerned with how we or they feel, but about our obedience. This has been made crystal clear to us. My husband is a true Nathanael, a man without guile. We will obey God no matter what. It’s just really comforting to know we have someplace to land.
 
It truly is amazing when you get a chance to read the Bible for yourself, and not get spoon fed by your church, regardless of what denominational affiliation you might have!
That's never a problem.

You can pick up "understanding" from Internet too. And this forum too.

Nothing is more dangerous than absolute confidence you get it. Then you never check are you right.

Personally, nothing is more crazy that explaining someone when their "Scripture evidence" actually testify against their convictions. I wonder how much and how many are capable of just plain reading of Bible (without inserting their prejudices).
 
That's never a problem.

You can pick up "understanding" from Internet too. And this forum too.

Nothing is more dangerous than absolute confidence you get it. Then you never check are you right.

Personally, nothing is more crazy that explaining someone when their "Scripture evidence" actually testify against their convictions. I wonder how much and how many are capable of just plain reading of Bible (without inserting their prejudices).
thethinkinggroup.org has free downloads for posters and cards that you can reference for both Logical Fallacies and Cognitive Biases. Good stuff you can use to identify what biases the individual you are explaining to, is using, so Fallacies are something we have focussed on quite a bit around here, but biases affect how they think!
 
This is easier to do when you read a Bible that doesn't have the chapter and verse numbers in it.

Example: https://timwildsmith.com/reviews/crossway-readers-set
Oh when people get to Job 31:1 and realize that this is just part of a continuation of Job's bemoaning of his condition, or perhaps they added an unwarranted section header there, which only confuses people into thinking Job was starting a new thought!
 
Back
Top