• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Job 31:1 Covenant eyes

Heavens Declare

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I just got finished reading Job 30, and I peeked into the next chapter to see where Job is talking about making that covenant with his eyes. It totally blew my mind that the context there in verses 27-31 is NOT about Job declaring his innocence! He is simply talking about how miserable he is. His harp is tuned to mourning and his flute to wailing. Now knowing the original chapter divisions were not there, and reading the context of what he is saying, it can be shown that he is not trying to say that he is so righteous that he won't even look at a virgin, but rather that he is so miserable that he CAN"T consider building a harem!
 
I just got finished reading Job 30, and I peeked into the next chapter to see where Job is talking about making that covenant with his eyes. It totally blew my mind that the context there in verses 27-31 is NOT about Job declaring his innocence! He is simply talking about how miserable he is. His harp is tuned to mourning and his flute to wailing. Now knowing the original chapter divisions were not there, and reading the context of what he is saying, it can be shown that he is not trying to say that he is so righteous that he won't even look at a virgin, but rather that he is so miserable that he CAN"T consider building a harem!
Good catch.
Or perhaps the thought of losing a set of children all over again is even deeper depression?
 
It gets even worse, Job actually lists his covenant with his eyes as sign of his righteousness and that God is treating him unfairly. This is the speech that gets called out later and that Job has to repent of.
 
It gets even worse, Job actually lists his covenant with his eyes as sign of his righteousness and that God is treating him unfairly. This is the speech that gets called out later and that Job has to repent of.
I don't think so. I think that is where pastors today are ignoring the context. That is the point I am making.
 
I just got finished reading Job 30, and I peeked into the next chapter to see where Job is talking about making that covenant with his eyes. It totally blew my mind that the context there in verses 27-31 is NOT about Job declaring his innocence! He is simply talking about how miserable he is. His harp is tuned to mourning and his flute to wailing. Now knowing the original chapter divisions were not there, and reading the context of what he is saying, it can be shown that he is not trying to say that he is so righteous that he won't even look at a virgin, but rather that he is so miserable that he CAN"T consider building a harem!
Whoa, I think you’re right, good catch!
 
Back
Top